Silverado Hospice Care
2205 Williams Trace Blvd
Sugar Land, TX, 77478
Welcome to Silverado Hospice Care in South Houston, TX
Personal Attention from An Expert Team in Sugar Land, serving the South Houston area.
Silverado Hospice Care in South Houston exists in the hope and belief that through effective, compassionate care, patients can approach the end of their lives with dignity and comfort in the midst of a caring environment sensitive to their needs. We do this by helping our patients achieve physical and emotional comfort so they can concentrate on living life as fully as possible. Patients are urged to:
- Stay active as long as they are able
- Take part in activities they enjoy
- Do something they have always wanted to do
- Focus on the quality of life because, after all, Hospice is about living
Silverado Hospice Care in Sugar Land is dedicated to the belief that no one who has a life-limiting illness should die alone, afraid or in pain. Hospice provides peace, comfort and caring to terminally ill people and their families. Hospice treats the person, not the disease.
Hospice is a philosophy of care that assists patients, families, and friends during the final stages of a terminal illness. Hospice emphasizes quality, rather than length of life. Silverado Hospice promotes dignity and emphasizes quality of life for those who choose to die in familiar surroundings with those they love.
At Silverado Hospice Care in South Houston our goals are to:
- Help the patient live each day fully and comfortably by providing effective pain control and symptom management
- Tailor medical, emotional, and spiritual support to the patient and the family
- Comfort the family with personal counseling, resources, and bereavement support
Sugar Land Hospice Care Programs
Silverado Hospice patients and families experience Love, Innovation, Family and Engagement through our special hospice programs.
Silver PAWS – Pets Are Worth Sharing: A unique program of Pet Therapy whereby trained volunteers and pets visit patients in their home. Pets have been proven to provide comfort and joy through interaction due to their ability to give and receive love unconditionally. Animals can break through communication barriers in a way that words cannot match, and have long been used to reach residents in Silverado's Senior Living communities.
Aroma Therapy: Response to smell can engage conversation about what memories are evoked, how that particular aroma makes a patient feel, or even what images a new smell conjures! Different scents are used to help relax, rejuvenate, or simply engage a patient.
Massage Therapy: Everyone needs to be touched. The need is no less in terminal patients. There are special methods of touch that can enhance the experience, and lessen any discomfort. Massage therapy is a well-established method of stimulating circulation, easing tension and pain, and assisting relaxation. Massage therapy is provided with the direction of the patient's physician.
Go Wish: A program whereby the hospice patient chooses specific things that they would like achieve during their End-of-Life journey. The Hospice team assists and facilitates the patient and family in realizing a dream large or small. This could be reconnecting with a loved one and visiting a special place once more.
Silver Hearts: This program is in partnership with Silverado At Home. Caregivers are provided intensive End-of-Life training so they are prepared to provide one on one care for extended periods of time.
Bereavement Support Sugar Land
We realize that the weeks and months following the death of a person significant in your life may be very difficult. Many emotions may be felt during this period of bereavement – loss, anger, sadness, or guilt. Each person reacts to loss in his or her own personal way.
It helps to understand that grief reactions are normal and part of the human experience. We want to be of continued support to you during this time.
Silverado Hospice has a Bereavement Services Program in Sugar Land to assist you in a variety of ways.
- We have a bereavement team of counselors and volunteers in Sugar Land that can talk with you
- We have Bereavement Support Groups and other resources that may assist you.
- We have reading material that may help you to make your own journey of discovery and growth toward healing.
Grief and Loss
What is Grief?
Grief is a natural response to loss that is unique and different for everyone experiencing it. Many authors have definitions of grief, but most agree that there is no right or wrong way to experience it, and that it is an individual and personal experience.
Grief can be intense emotions like overwhelming sadness, loneliness, anger, relief, and guilt, but also can include, physical pain, lethargy, and even feelings of craziness. Many people also experience grief without intense emotion, but feel a sense of numbness, and of shock.
What grief needs
- Grief needs patience, time and compassion for the grief stricken. To begin healing from this pain takes patience and compassion for yourself.
- Talk about your relationship to the deceased to those safe people who will listen to you, not interrupt or give advice.
- Feel your feelings, and give yourself permission to feel “out of sorts” with the world for awhile.
- Find support among those who understand what you are going through by attending a local bereavement support group.
- Find support through your faith-based or religious community.
- Find a chat room online to talk with others
- Read books about grief, loss, and death
- Speak with a bereavement counselor