Active Day serves over 3,000 clients per day through the nation’s largest network of medical adult day care centers, in-home personal care services and outpatient rehabilitation facilities.
Active Day – Hikes Point
3403 Breckenridge Lane
Louisville, KY, 40220
What is medical adult day care?
When a loved one is diagnosed with a chronic condition, many families feel as if they have only two options for care: having someone in the family take on the role of full-time caregiver or placing their loved one in a nursing home or institution. However, there is another option between these two difficult extremes: medical adult day care.
Medical adult day care is designed for individuals 18 years of age and older who have chronic physical or cognitive impairments. Those who can benefit from the services offered by medical adult day care centers include: adults with Alzheimer’s or other dementias, Parkinson’s, neuromuscular diseases or developmental disabilities; victims of stroke, heart attack or traumatic brain injury; elderly adults who are homebound and in need of social stimulation; and those who require assistance with daily activities such as eating and bathing. These centers are also well-suited for individuals who are leaving high school or a sheltered workshop environment, as staff can work with school transition teams and other organizations to continue the client’s developmental and educational curriculum.
A highly cost-effective long-term care alternative, medical adult day care centers administer nursing care, meals and therapeutic activities in a safe, structured and homelike environment. Registered nurses, personal care assistants, activities staff and therapists help clients maintain the best possible quality of life while also offering respite for family caregivers.
Much more than an outlet for social engagement, medical adult day care centers also provide health care support services including assistance with daily personal care and hygiene, administration of medications and injections, wound care and regular monitoring of blood pressure and blood sugar. In centers that serve clients with a higher acuity level, licensed nurses can provide tracheostomy care and tube feeding.
For more information about medical adult day care as well as the cost advantages and benefits, use our Center Locator to contact the Active Day medical adult day care center nearest you.
About Active Day
Founded in 1995, Active Day serves over 3,000 clients per day through the nation’s largest network of medical adult day care centers, in-home personal care services and outpatient rehabilitation facilities. Learn more about our management and some of our remarkable clients.
Our programs are designed to meet the needs of elderly and disabled adults and their caregivers by providing a cost-effective alternative to nursing home or institutional care that promotes the client’s ability to remain independent.
Active Day offers a wide range of services, including medical adult day care, outpatient therapy, in-home care and transportation, designed to meet the emotional, intellectual, physical and medical needs of our clients.
Medical Adult Day Care Centers
Active Day medical adult day care centers partner with caregivers, case managers and physicians in a team approach to provide each client with a unique program of cognitive and physical activities that is custom-tailored to his or her needs and interests. By engaging in these activities, our clients receive mental and physical stimulation that helps to improve their well-being and quality of life.
- Planned activities and community outings
- Daily personal care assistance including bathing
- Health monitoring
- Medication management and injections
- Incontinence care
- Transfer assistance
- Nutritious meals and snacks
- Tube feeding and tracheostomy care
- Early identification of changes in condition
Active Day offers outpatient rehabilitation services designed to help clients regain their ability to participate in the activities of daily living.
- Physical therapy helps clients build strength, endurance, muscle tone, range of motion, hand-eye coordination and balance while decreasing anxiety and boosting energy levels and mood.
- Occupational therapy helps clients maintain their independence and self-respect by providing exercises and assistive devices that enable them to continue performing daily tasks such as dressing, cooking and eating on their own.
- Speech therapy helps clients improve speaking and swallowing abilities.
In-Home Personal Care Assistance
In selected areas, Active Day offers clients care and support with daily activities in the comfort of their own home through our personal care assistance services. Use our Center Locator to determine if this service is available in your area.
- Assistance with feeding, hygiene and grooming
- Support with walking, strength and balance
- Post-hospitalization care
- Meal planning and preparation
- Light housekeeping
- Home safety assessment
As an added service to family caregivers, we provide door-to-door transportation service for clients of Active Day centers within a convenient radius of each center.
- Convenient pick-up and drop-off times
- Escorts to medical appointments
- Includes service to rural areas
- Handicapped-accessible vehicles equipped with emergency communication systems
The Active Day Advantage
Active Day represents the nation’s largest network of adult day care centers, with more than 50 sites in seven states serving more than 3,000 clients per day.
Our centers, which are staffed by attentive and caring professionals, offer health care supervision, engaging activity programs and rehabilitative therapies in a comfortable, homelike environment. Our primary focus is helping our clients achieve a marked improvement in their overall quality of life, well-being and daily functioning while providing respite and peace of mind for their caregivers.
Here are just a few of the benefits that our clients and their families enjoy:
- Effective management of chronic conditions
- Prolonged independence and improved daily functioning
- Cognitive and physical stimulation
- Nutrition and medication management
- Convenience of door-to-door transportation
- Cost-effective alternative to nursing homes or institutions